Robots From Deep Space

Sometimes you just had to get the class quiet, focused and organized. Here's one way we used to do it.

It was called "Robots From Deep Space". It began just as a way to stand up and get ready to sing the nation anthem. I would aske the class to stand quickly and quietly at the count of 4. I would set my keyboard to an "Orchestra Hit" sound, with another hand ready to hit the floor tom at my side.

If they could do that, then another 4 count to turn to the wall and be ready to sing. We would practice sitting at the count of 4 too.

The class understood that the people who were not cooperating were really making the action no fun. The pressure from the group was on.

Eventually, I could ask the class to put their heads on the desk and wait (while I played space music). At the sound of the tom they would sit up alert, like robots. At the next tom they would stand, etc.

Passers by would wonder in awe at the mysterious goings on in the room. (No worry, the principal never came to our room in her 4 years as the boss. Go figure.)

I often would explain phase coherence and resonant frequencies.

Here's a video I recently saw that could easily be a model for all teachers.


Popular Posts