Inspired by Samuel L. Jackson

As I begin to recall my favorite memories from 1999- 2014,  I'm immediately searching the hard drive(s) for a web page I wrote 15 years ago. It was modeled on a page someone constructed of a matrix of Samuel L. Jackson sayings taken from his movies. It was beyond hilarious. (Hint- the closest page I can find has his quotes as mp3's -NSFW.)

Samuel L. Jackson
So, after hearing the students repeat the same questions in class, I decided to make my version of a page filled with typical student question. You press the square button and the class hears the student. Pretty funny. This brings me to possibly the first most important piece of advice to all teachers. Keep all your files in an orderly fashion. I know I will find the old html document in question this week in one of my hard drives, but right now it's not in my personal server. Duh.

The years I taught were the beginning years of the web. I had a school server, but I crammed it with everything I could and one day the IT person told me to move most of it. For those of you who can remember hard drive size and cost you'll understand that today's cloud storage was not even imagined. Nevertheless, as my wife would tell you, I don't through anything out. It's just locating it that becomes a time use problem. In 2000 the school gave me an Adobe software called LiveMotion. It created swf files in which audio files which could be embedded to create the page filled with buttons for students to hit and laugh their heads off. "Mr. Roe, can I go to the bathroom?" was a favorite, along with "He's kicking my chair!".

Coming from a professional music career, a 15 year stint as a projectionist, then a web designer, the first move in the classroom was to install some audio that could get the music LOUD. Then a projector. Teaching 34 classes a week (in 4 days)  I used the web & tech to create lesson plans and projectable material for the students. Today I'm a happy member of the Adobe Creative Cloud and it offers the most useful tools for web page creation. Flash Professional, Adobe Muse, Edge Animate, Photoshop, InDesign, etc. Thanks Samuel.

Popular Posts